Sunday, June 13, 2010

1st World Cup weekend

hey All!!! Which games have you been watching?!

Congrats to Ghana, excellent score though I didn't get to watch it... but 6am on a Sunday doesn't exist for me :(

I saw the England v US game, I went with my friends to an Irish pub in Mexico City -- how surreal is that?! We filled 3/4 of the place, and the USA fans where relegated to the corner... sorry!
"Butterfingers" Green (England Goalie) was very generous in giving that goal away!

Which has been your favourite game so far?

4 comments:

  1. Deb--My impressions after the first weekend of the World Cup:
    Friday and Saturday: Lackluster
    Sunday: Getting much better.

    Mexico - South Africa: Very exciting 1st half, Mexico played well and deserved more. Level of play 2nd half was not very good, with both teams showing defensive flaws and a little sloppy. I think the tie was very disappointing for Mexico--tough road ahead.

    Uruguay - France: By far the most boring cup game so far, I was falling asleep. Not impressed by either team, though we can probably expect France to step-it-up soon.

    Saturday Matches: Korea played a great game against Greece. Are they for real? Argentina showed that Messi can play as well with his National team as with Barcelona. Nigeria was fortunate to receive only one goal. England did seem to loose morale after "butterfingers" Green's awful mistake (though I hate to say it--it did make me feel slightly better that there's a worse goalie in this cup than Mexico's Conejo Perez : ). US came close in the second half, though was disappointed that they seemed content with a tie in the final minutes of the match.

    Sunday: Yes, there's excitement left in the World Cup! Three great matches. My favorite was Ghana-Serbia, the best game of the cup so far. Germany showed they can be a contender even without Michael Ballack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe you've missed your calling! you should be commenting on ESPN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny Deb... Good games again today, even though I have Spain going all the way their loss added some excitement to the cup, and also sad to see the Bafana Bafana loose against Uruguay, but nice to see some goals scored. I think Mexico can beat France tomorrow. ME-XI-CO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have Spain all the way -- did you copy my scores?!

    ReplyDelete