Monday, June 14, 2010

Is Germany the most ethnically diverse team?

Watching the Germany-Australia game today I couldn't help but notice how diverse the German team is. Out of the 23 man roster at least 11 players are non-German born or of non-German heritage.
Miroslav Klose (Born in Poland)
Lukas Podolski (Born in Poland)
Sami Khedira (Tunisian Parents)
Mesut Özil (Turkish Parents)
Cacau (Born in Brazil)
Marko Marin (born in Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Mario Gomez (Spanish Father)

On the bench:
Dennis Aogo (Nigerian Parents)
Serdar Tasci (Turkish Parents)
Piotr Trochowski (Born in Poland)
Jérôme Boateng (Ghanaian father)

In the case of Boateng -- I caught during the Ghana game that he's Kevin Prince brother who plays for Ghana. It would be great to see them play each other. Would this be a world cup 1st -- to have brothers representing two different countries play each other? I can't imagine that this has ever happened before.

No comments:

Post a Comment